Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Another YA title: The Burn Journals

Well we are entering into a routine at the middle school, and I have finally learned where everything is kept. My media center walls were even painted last night--- but the "accent" walls are pepto bismal pink--- Yuck. It gives me an upset stomach just thinking about the color. Nut the good news is that we will get rid of the accent colors.

We will have reading quotes... that will be nice. So what else is new in the Middle School Media Center? I have reaffirmed that my students really have no clue about all of the information they are being bombarded with. They were under the impression it was just all out there for free and that there was no money involved. They were AMAZED to discover that those advertisements on webpages make money for somebody. Really what else could they have been doing there.... amusing people? Anyway my vote is for a media literacy rotation in the 6th grade.... not a foreign language!

Ok so what have I been reading lately? I just finished The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon. It was non-fiction and really quite a compelling read. It chronicles his suicide attempt by trying to set himself on fire and his 8 month recovery. It also provides tremendous insight into the musings of a 14 year old boys mind. It is not for the faint of heart as the language is realistic particularly for someone undergoing such a painful physical experience. But I think it belongs on library shelves particualry 8-12 grades. I won't give it to a 6th grader... but it is a great book.

That reminds me, I'll have to Blog about my first experience with a parent challenge. Actually it went well. Very Well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, come on JBP, I thought pink was your favorite color. :) I am taking my 7th graders to the library this week to compare websites on the cell. They are supposed to look at them for content, graphic appeal, readability, etc. Can't wait to hear about your parental encounter. Miss ya

Anonymous said...

Good post.